Whether it is a housing complex or an office, implementing strict safety measures is an imperative considering the skyrocketing crimes rates in urban ambience. Crimes have become increasingly common in both dense and sparse areas, and as part of the security measures, installing CCTV cameras have become a common practise. CCTV cameras, or the close-circuit cameras help monitor activities outside schools, offices, and housing communities. At the event of a crime, law enforcement generally relies upon the CCTV footage to identify the criminals and bring them to task.
You may be wondering how CCTV works. Let me explain a bit
CCTV cameras are wired cameras that are connected to the central hub and transmit audio and video signals directly to the mainframe. They need electricity to function.
Wireless cameras are usually battery operated which needs to be replaced in intervals. They need to be in the range of the main hub. They use wi-fi to send recordings to a cloud server.
Why we need to install CCTV in certain areas –
- Installing cameras in protected areas help the authorities to keep a check on illegal activities. These cameras sometimes cover isolated roads where it is easier to rob a helpless traveller. True, cameras won’t prevent the robbery from happening. But the presence of a camera may dissuade an offender from the act.
- If there are no witnesses in a crime, surveillance footage can help identify the felon.
- Vandalizing public places is another nuisance. Although no one gets hurt, the property is damaged. The perpetrator gets discouraged at the thought of being filmed in the act.
- Any unintentional offence where the culprit flees in a moment of indecision can be solved if a security camera catches the act. They still need to face the consequences of their actions.
The primary purpose of security cameras is to intimidate criminals and potential criminals. They are a reminder – you are being watched and you will be held accountable for your action.
Drawbacks of an extensive CCTV network
- It is an expensive venture. In a small town, we need a large number of cameras to cover every public space including the streets. This number is even larger for major cities. Apart from the equipment, a separate workforce is needed to oversee the proper functioning.
- We install CCTV to reduce the crime rates and catch criminals after identifying them on video footage. This approach may be successful in disrupting petty crimes. But major crimes are harder to prevent. Also, sociologists have studied various cities to determine that crime rates have not been reduced by that much.
- People with ill intentions can misuse this system for their gain. These cameras are essentially tracking the public as they go about their daily business. Sensitive information is in danger of being exploited.
- Specific laws and regulations are needed for these matters. A separate team should be overseeing the execution of these laws.
- Constant monitoring can have a negative effect on people. They may feel threatened or uncomfortable under constant surveillance.
In case you are considering to install CCTV cameras, here are some points that you should take into consideration. Installing CCTV cameras require weighing on in a few aspects such as strategic positioning and proper number of cameras so as not to make people feel suffocated.
Being a little cautious while installing CCTV cameras doesn’t hurt. Two major factors that need to be taken into consideration while installing CCTV cameras are—storage and access. Furthermore, the professionals tasked with installing the cameras need to be highly skilled in order to avoid future problems.
Tags: CCTV cameras, alarm system, antenna installation, security systems
I am Amelia Varley, a qualified blogger. Here you can see my skills which give you small ideas on understanding all the concepts with different themes. I love to write the blog on different topics, like health, home décor, Automotive, Business, Food, Lifestyle, Finance, Flowers etc.